Sunday, 26 February 2012

You Can’t Teach An Old Dog New Tricks...

This year is a special wedding anniversary.  Special enough that, at the time of tying the knot, Mr V promised he would buy me an eternity ring.  Now like all my sisters of the fairer sex, I’m not averse to the odd sparkler.  Especially a sparkler that has all sorts of official papers declaring quality, clarity, weight, hefty price tag and then – upon the sun shining at a certain angle – frazzling your eyeballs with all that vast sparkly diamond light.

However, there is a recession going on.  Things are tight.  Money is required not so much for diamond rings but astronomical bills.  So I’ve suggested foregoing the eternity ring and Mr V agreeing to me having a second pooch instead.

As it has taken umpteen years to finally drum training into our senior beagle’s head, Mr V is naturally not keen to go through it all over again. It's a bit like having kids. Just when you've toilet trained them, taught them not to scratch their armpits, to cease snarling at you, stop lolling around on beds that don't belong to them and endlessly chastise them for eating you out of house and home...they go and leave you.

We are down to one teenager left in the nest and an ancient pooch. Every now and again we think about downsizing too. Mr V is keen for us to move into a smart apartment and for me to swap country dog walks for running on a treadmill in a posh gym. Having worked out in the gym whilst skiing (thanks to extreme weather and not being able to ski that much) I can honestly say that I was bored silly running on a treadmill after just ten minutes. I've also been idly looking at properties by the sea.  I have romantic visions of walking a dog along a picturesque coastline, watching the sea pounding the shoreline through changing seasons and holing up in a gorgeous attic room that overlooks the ocean whilst writing.

Meanwhile back to reality.  I shall take myself off to the supermarket for the Sunday shop.  And continue to hound (no pun intended) Mr V over a second pooch...




1 comment:

  1. Awww. So glad to have found your blog, Debbie.

    Sounds a great alternative. Give me a pooch over material things any day!

    My ex would never have allowed a second dog so what did I do once he'd left me? Yep you guessed it. I got one. And it was the best thing I ever did.

    My old Lab, Simba, only had a couple of months with his new pal (black Lab puppy, I think you've seen him) However, he was soooo happy and it gave him a new lease of life for those last weeks. And without doubt the pup has kept us all going since we had the old boy put to sleep a few weeks ago.

    So you hound that hubby away and tell him from me you won't regret it. And also tell him that he wouldn't want you to be as drastic as me, and get rid of the hubby in order to get your own way! lol

    xx

    ReplyDelete