Sunday, 29 April 2012

What happens when it rains cats and dogs?


Holidays are being discussed.  We are fortunate enough to be able to scrape together the necessaries to go away this year and exchange a British summer for a couple of weeks under a foreign sun.  Forgetting everyday niggles, gripes, worries and stress is something I find myself really yearning for come this time of the year.  However, so far nothing is booked.  I can see a last minute dot com being the result. 

Mr V is clinging to the hope that we will still be having a family holiday.  With three children aged 19, 17 and almost 15, I knew the summer of 2011 would be the last time we’d all be together.  Indeed, my son has already booked a jaunt to Turkey without us.  My step-daughter doesn’t want to go away and my daughter doesn’t want to go on holiday without her step-sister or brother.  So at this rate it could just be me and Mr V – which quite frankly I’m more than happy to entertain (where’s that brochure gone for the Maldives?). 

Currently the British weather is dismal.  The Government is telling us all we are in drought, to shower instead of bath, that if we use our hosepipes we will be punished with a hefty fine and to SAVE SAVE SAVE our water!  This is bitter pill to swallow when your road is flooded, you need Wellingtons and a storm mac to walk the dog and can’t sleep at night for the drum of torrential rainfall upon the bedroom skylights.  But when all is said and done I don’t really care where we go on holiday just so long as the sun shines all day long for two straight weeks and there is a sun bed to crash out upon with my Kindle and a cool drink. 

Oh, and in answer to the title of today’s bit of blog, the answer is obvious.  If it’s raining cats and dogs, you have to be careful not to step in a poodle.  Yes, the joke is as dismal as the weather... 

No comments:

Post a Comment