Wednesday, 3 October 2012

The Next Big Thing!


Last Wednesday, the lovely writer Wendy Loveday tagged me in her post entitled The Next Big Thing.  This Wednesday it is my turn to participate.
I’m answering ten questions about my Work in Progress before tagging five other writers. And those writers will tell you about their latest novels next Wednesday.  As you have probably now deduced, The Next Big Thing is also A Wednesday Thing!
So without further ado...
 
• What is the working title of your next book?
Lipstick and Lies.  The original working title was Silicone and Stretchmarks, but for all sorts of reasons it had to change.  Here's a sneak peek of the cover.
 

Lipstick and Lies sees Cassandra Mackerel and her good friends, Morag and Nell, reunited.  Morag is now a yummy mummy but still sex mad.  Nell has also popped a sprog and is struggling to get back into both her jeans and a routine.  Meanwhile Cass is juggling weaning with the reappearance of Selina, her husband's glamorous ex-girlfriend.  In Stockings Selina did her best to split up Cass and husband Jamie.  And if Selina has her way, this time she’ll do it permanently.  Yes, we’re talking murder...


• Where did the idea come from for the book?
A number of readers got in touch saying they'd loved Stockings and Cellulite and wanted more.  They begged me to consider writing a sequel.  So that’s how Lipstick and Lies was born.  And I’m dedicating it to all those lovely people who got in touch!

• What genre does your book fall under?
Women’s Commercial Fiction.  Romance/Humour.  Oh all right!  Chick-lit.  In all its girly glory!

• What actors would you choose to play the part of your characters in a movie rendition?
Ha!  That would be interesting.  Way back, when I first wrote Stockings and Cellulite, I compared the hero to Brad Pitt in his hey-day.  And – in order to assist my rubbish memory – I portrayed the heroine’s looks as something like Jennifer Aniston.  Stockings was my learning curve and took six long years to produce.  At the time of first putting pen to paper, Brad and Jen were married.  In Stockings a woman comes along and tries to split my couple up.  I wanted the other woman to be the polar opposite in looks to my heroine.  In my mind’s eye I visualised somebody with looks not unlike Angelina Jolie.  How incredible that a couple of years down the line, the very one and same actress was cited as splitting up Hollywood’s golden couple.  But somehow I don’t think the three of them would agree to do a movie rendition...


• What is the one sentence synopsis of your book?
Lipstick and Lies is the story of what happens to one married couple when an ex-girlfriend makes a reappearance and invades every area of their lives.

• Will your book be self-published or represented by an agency?
Last week, and completely out of the blue, an agent got in touch with me.  So the initial chapters are currently with that agent.  However, I’m not holding my breath.  Realistically I envisage self-publishing.  I self-published last time around with Flings and Arrows. That novel fell a little short of getting into the Top 100 best-selling Kindle books on Amazon (UK).  Indeed, not long afterwards a publisher asked if I’d like to partner up on my next novel.  I was flattered, but said no.  It would have been nice if they’d had some faith in me previously.  That said, if a publisher like Simon & Schuster came along, I’d say yes!

• How long did it take you to write the first draft of the manuscript?
The first draft took, give or take, one hundred days.  Nowadays, once I start a novel, I want nothing and nobody interrupting.  My target is 1,000 words per day.  One hundred days later I have a novel.  Obviously it needs editing and polishing.  But there is a Work In Progress.

 • What other books would you compare this story to within your genre?
As far as I know, there isn’t one!

• Who or what inspired you to write this book?
Ah, this question dovetails with the earlier one asking where the idea came from.  To answer, the inspiration came from the single overwhelming desire to please my readers.

 • What else about your book might pique the reader’s interest?
I’ve played on the fact that most women like gossip.  If a female hears somebody’s marriage is threatened – especially by the likes of another woman – she wants to know all about it. 
Mega thanks to the following fabulous authors for allowing me to tag them.  Do read their wonderful blogs and even more wonderful books.  I give you....

Milly Johnson http://daftoldbag.blogspot.co.uk/
Carole Matthews http://www.carolematthews.com/sample-page/blog/
Rowan Coleman http://rowancoleman.blogspot.co.uk/
Madalyn Morgan http://madalynmorgan.blogspot.co.uk/
Jack Barrow http://jackbarrow.blogspot.co.uk/

2 comments:

  1. Hi Debbie - great post. Your warmth and humour shines through everything you write. Good luck with the agent :-) xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm looking forward to reading, Lipstick and Lies when I've finished, Flings and Arrows. Which I may add is fantastic.

    ReplyDelete